I’m heading into the Christmas season with a little more Yvette hanging around than I’m traditionally comfortable with, and because my Fit-by-40 campaign has to start sometime, I’ve come up with some strategies for tackling all the festive season eating…
So here’s my plan. I’m calling it Yvette’s Strategies for Avoiding a Food Coma on Christmas Day…
- If the main meal on your Christmas Day is lunch, don’t eat a heavy breakfast. Have a small bowl of cereal or piece of fruit. It also wouldn’t kill you to skip breakfast altogether.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Say no to sugary soft drink and punch. Stick to soda water with a wedge of lemon.
- Don’t park yourself too close to the pre-dinner nibbles. It is possible to eat so many pre-dinner chips, salami, crackers and cheese, that you don’t feel like eating the four-course meal the family have slaved over. It’s probably best to just say no to the pre-dinner nibbles altogether.
- Put salad and green vegetables on your plate first. There will be less room for the potatoes soaked in duck fat.
- Use a small plate. You won’t be able to fit as much on a small plate.
- Skip the bread rolls and garlic bread.
- Brush your teeth after lunch/ dinner. Just as a cue to yourself that you’ve finished eating. This might stop you picking at the leftovers or going for seconds. Chewing gum might work just as well.
- Limit alcohol intake. It’s easier for me to just say no to alcohol altogether.
- Skip dessert, or if that’s too hard, at least skip the post-dessert rocky road and fruit mince pies that go with the post-dessert cuppa.
Does anyone else need my plan?
It will probably work best if you set a non-food related reward for success. Like a pedicure, or a new novel. Also, it will be hard to stick to if the person in charge of Christmas lunch cooks like my sister-in-law.
All the best with the eating and Merry Christmas!!
Ha ha ha – my only strategy is to forget about any strategy on Christmas Day, and try then all after Boxing Day!!
This is also a good strategy!! 🙂 Merry Christmas, Virginia xx